Sounds of the summer

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Firstly, I have an apology. I started writing a summer playlist at the start of summer and for some reason never got round to finishing/posting it. I blame the summer! Well, since we're approaching autumn (already!?), think of it as a summer-recap-playlist instead. If there's something you should know about my music taste, it is that it varies. I like niche pockets of artists who you may never have heard of before (like Matt Wertz), and artists who are at the start of their careers (Nina Nesbitt), and the odd bit of mainstream. Each of the following captures a little bit of what I love about summer. Let's begin...

 Little Mix - Wings

The “X Factor Winner’s First Post-Show Single” is always a tricky hurdle to overcome. Whilst it can be a “Bleeding Love” (aka massive worldwide domination), it could also fade into the background faster than you can say “Leon Jackson”. Which is a shame, because he seems like a really sweet guy… Anyway, to avoid being added to the Simon Cowell “To Drop List”, you need a rockin’ first song. And I’m happy to say that Little Mix have more than delivered! I didn’t think I’d enjoy it as much as I did, and it just really suits them and their style (which is a little urban, little pop, little R&B and other ingredients of in-between). A catchy chorus, optimistic lyrics, cool harmonies; hell, even the intro is better than most these days. You can actually tell their voices apart so they haven’t been merged into a single autotuned blur. It’s so unexpected as an “X Factor Winner’s First Post-Show Single” that it could create a Little Mix brand separate from the X Factor association…meaning they are established artists of their own right and accord. Oh, and there’s clapping too.
 
Taylor Swift - We are never ever getting back together
If you haven't already read my single review on this, get to it! It is commerical, yes. It is catchy, yes. And did I find myself absent-mindedly humming it earlier today? Yes. I've


Newton Faulkner - Clouds
Newton Faulkner’s first and second albums are a happy and cosy part of my CD collection and always take me to a place with unexpected melodies and guitar riffs where he’s obviously showing off. And I love it. “Clouds” is an upbeat track that just oozes summer. It’s classic Newton and makes me want to smile at random strangers on the street. Yes, really. A feel-good summer anthem is right down my street, and it has given me expert advice too, should I ever need it: “Stop looking down at the ground, pick it out of the clouds. No one’s gonna put you down. Just let it out, let it out.” Amen to that, brother.


Nina Nesbitt - The Apple Tree
Remember the name Nina Nesbitt; I predict very, very, very big things for her. She's already made quite an impression on the music scene and at 18, there is much, much more we can look forward to. She was in a friend's Facebook photo earlier this year so I looked her music up on Spotify and immediately clicked with her clever acoustic sound and spine-tingling vocals. "The Apple Tree" is my most-listened to track of hers this summer; it's goooooood.
 
Sophie Sumner - Aiming for you
*America's Next Top Model Spoiler Alert for UK fans* "Sophie Sumner" is a name you may not necessarily recognise yet (especially UK people without the Sky Living channel), but definitely watch out for the face of the fashion future. About the song, who would have thought you could write a whole song primarily based around modelling? And what's more, manage to make it seriously catchy? Any song able to accomodate the term "smize" (smiling with your eyes, Tyra-Banks-coined) is impressive.  I'll admit I'm not your stereotypical fan of the bubblegum/electro pop sort, but I really, really like this song. It was released as part of the *spoiler alert* ANTM: British Invasion prize, and it is just as well (phew!) that Sophie can sing. And rock pink hair and Union Jack lips better than I ever, ever could.

(I did try, though. This is my own way of flying the Team GB flag at the Olympics recently!)


Bev x

You Might Also Like

0 comments