Going for Gold! London 2012 Olympic fever

Monday, August 06, 2012

Simply the best: Usain Bolt crosses the finishing line to win gold in the men's 100 metres final

As I write this, I am watching the victory ceremony of the Women's Gymnastics Uneven Bars. About fifteen minutes or so earlier, I was willing Beth Tweddle (go Team GB!) on whilst "aaaaah-that-is-so-tricky"ing at every move. Then gasping as she just missed the landing. Then willing everyone afterwards to mess up (bad, I know!). But after a quick Google search of "Beth Tweddle", I realised that she's never won an Olympic medal before, which made watching the victory ceremony even sweeter. And just earlier today, my phone alarm was set to precisely 3.46am - leaving just enough minutes to stumble groggily over to the TV and find Usain "Lightning" Bolt and co. for the 100m final. (I should probably add that I'm abroad on holiday!)
High standard: Beth Tweddle claimed the bronze medal for her performance on the uneven bars

Anyway, it is quite safe to say that Olympic fever has swept over me. Why else would I sacrifice precious 9.63 seconds of sleep? And frantically make an overseas call home when freaking out that I am unable to watch Murray vs. Federer's tennis final? (I got a play-by-play commentary, by the way. And I'd appreciate any Youtube links if possible please.) Don't even get me started on my happiness for Jess Ennis, Ben Ainslie,  Mo Farrah, Bradley Wiggins, the rowers, the cyclists... (I used to know Joanna Rowsell of the Women's Team Pursuit gold medalists!) My daily routine consists of checking the BBC Sport Olympic section and hitting refresh whenever I'm lucky enough to get Wi-Fi. But I am doing it because the Olympics is an amazing, spectacular event and I am filled with national pride, no matter where in the world I am. Especially since this one's on home ground too (well, the home back home). When you feel the same buzz/electricity/excitement for the people you want to win, thousands and thousands of miles away, you know that it's the event itself; I don't need the buzz/electricity/excitement of everyone around me to feel it.  
Andy Murray
The national pride is a feeling you will probably be familiar with, no matter where in the world you are (thank you for making this blog international; Mexico, India, USA, Poland, Brazil, Australia, Austria, Georgia, Germany, Jamaica..haha ok now I'm just showing off sorry). Gold, silver, bronze, or even just the taking part, it is a phenomenal achievement made even more special by the sanctity of it's history and the fact that it is only once every 4 years. The victors' celebrations with their families and teams makes you want to smile, and you want to offer huge hugs for those who fall short of their goals. One of the main aims, it seems, of this year's Olympics is to inspire generations and encourage the younger generations to reconnect with sport. And it seems to be doing the trick. Just think back to yesterday's tennis - the Murray And Little Boy Hug. Simply heartwarming. (I didn't get to see this either, but Daily Mail's kept me thoroughly informed through a very epic account. It should be a film).
Henry Caplan, 11, gives Andy Murray a hug
And the Olympics isn't just about the actual sports.. it's about nations coming together, being united by sport, celebrating talent and achievement, and most importantly showing that hard work does pay off! Endless hours of training, disciplining and more training pays off at the finish line. I'm verging on the philosophical side so maybe I'll hold that thought for another time...

As I write this part, I've moved onto the men's gymnastics. And I'm not just marvelling at their muscles. It's getting late, but no doubt I will be checking every result on my iPod in the morning, and I don't mind the late nights watching the TV (who doesn't?); I quite like being part of something big... something global. That's what the Olympics are all about.
Bev x

You Might Also Like

0 comments