What I love about love

Sunday, February 16, 2014

It's that time of the year again. Friday was no ordinary Friday - instead, it was the day the most red roses were bought. (There was a feature on ITV's This Morning slating all these online-ordered red roses. Riveting viewing.) The culmination of weeks of red/heart-shaped items plastered over stores. (I couldn't buy a calendar in Clinton's due to too many red things on shelves. The lady offered me The Wanted or One Direction from their storeroom instead. I politely declined.) Aaand, my Facebook was filled to the brim with lovely statuses and photos of "ooh look what he bought me". All in all, very cute. In other words, Happy Valentine's Day. 

I wrote something this time last year here, and reading it one year later, I am still quietly optimistic that the love in Up is the real deal. If you have no idea what I'm on about, flash back to that link. I still stand by every word. 


My hot date for Valentine's Day this year was a girls' film night with sugar galore (non, je ne regrette rien). You can be sad about everyone around parading their love and rubbing salt in a single wound, or you can eat pizza. Guess which option I went for? Anyway, I'm not sure if this is something I should go around shouting/blogging about, but I've never actually celebrated a Valentine's Day - nor even been given a Valentine's Day card for that matter. Yup, not even a pretend one from my parents back in the day. So it's easy to be bitter and rage against all men and all lovey-dovey couples and our consumerist culture where we're so obsessed with giving and receiving presents and there's nothing for singletons (except a song from Beyonce, but she's happily married anyway - Mr Carter liked it so he did put a ring on it) and etcetera etcetera. 

But my message to you is not for the loved-up ones, but for the single people out there. It's pretty much the same message as last year: just because you aren't in love, doesn't mean you can't still celebrate it. I don't know how many fish are in the sea, but in terms of "decent people", I reckon there are still lots out there. This is no time to go on a flurry of Tinder dates, worrying time is running out. Don't panic, don't rush. Don't waste your time panicking and rushing into things you might regret. You can still have fun and form strong relationships (ie. friendships). Feeling lonely? Don't worry, this is what Ryan Reynolds movie marathons were made for. Your time will come. This is me not being bitter. 

Whilst I featured that super-cute 10 minute sequence from the start of Up last year, here's an almost-as-cute sequence from a fellow Disney movie for this year. 

We don't need to hear wedding bells or anything, but this is love. (A different type of love; a snowman and a princess would be too weird, anyway.) Thanks Frozen. If you haven't seen it, and if the clip above of a weird snowman was very confusing, you should go see it.)

And that's why I love love. You don't need to see it, or even feel it, but you know it's there. It's the power to shape, to change, to rescue, to bring out the best in people. In the words of Olaf the snowman, "love is putting someone else's needs before yours." 

And hey, some people are worth melting for. They might be your parents, kids, friends, or the One who Just Hasn't Met You Yet. 

Hit it, Michael:


You Might Also Like

0 comments