TV Review: Sherlock - The Empty Hearse

Thursday, January 02, 2014

First things first: happy new year! This marks the very first post of 2014, and what better way to start than to base it on our new year's treat from Sherlock and co? That's right; we were welcomed into 2014 with fireworks, stormy weather (in the UK, anyway) and the return of our favourite hat fanatic detective. I can't believe it's been a whole 2 years since the apparent fall to his death, and yes although nobody believed that was the definite end for a second, it's been a whole 2 years to wait and discover...how!?!?

Spoiler alert: stop reading if you haven't seen this episode. You must watch it, and then come back.

Co-creators Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss sure know how to write a top show - after all, we've 2 seasons of bloomin' good episodes. But then things got complicated - an apparent suicide leaving a whole host of emotions and one devastated Dr John Watson. "Don't be dead", he said. And Sherlock listened! Cue more emotion. But just how does one tell his best friend (lets face it, they are best friends) that not only has he been alive all this time, but quite a few people already knew about it too? The answer? At any time except when best friend in question is about to propose. And in any way except as a phoney waiter with a funny eyeliner moustache. If you do both, you may be subject to physical violence. Regardless, the first 10 minutes were top notch and so supremely well-written. Even the opening scene featured the mind-boggling theory which involved a bungee jump, sci-fi Sherlock style masks (I theorised this one), a team of people in on the act (also guessed), and Derren Brown. Um, what? Derren Brown!

Not to worry, this was just another clever depiction of the show's writers acknowledging all the crazy theories we the public came up with. Another one included the hilarious Sherlock-Moriarty tension (a different kind of tension) in a crazy fan-fic style, ahem. And even when the closing credits rolled, I still wasn't quite sure what had actually happened. And will we find out the definitive explanation? The 1 out of 13? Time will tell. 

Even though the show was absolutely filled to the brim with the looming shadow of the past, there was actually a reason Sherlock returned, and thus bringing the usual Sherlock element of a mystery to solve. This one involved an underground terrorist network, intertwining the ominous threat of another November 5th. The bonfire scene sent shivers down my spine and was powerful enough to literally make me shout, "somebody listen to the little girl!" at my TV screen. Not many TV shows hold that much power. Anyway, with these plots, there is always a twist and this was an interesting play on the word "underground". I don't know if it's my spending too much time on the Underground, but the London tubes were what I pictured when the plot point was first introduced anyway. Back to the subject - the whole bomb fiasco was more a Sherlock-Watson scene. I was a little disappointed, thinking "is that it!?", when the save-the-day moment is a simple off switch. But it also allowed an honest and emotional scene between Sherlock and John, and it looks like our favourite TV bromance is back on track. All the while, this is the first Sherlock episode where nothing is actually solved. We're treated to the sinister glare of the latest scary villain, but that's it. 

Even though we didn't get too many answers and resolutions, we definitely have a great set-up for the rest of Season 3. I can hardly fault it - I mean, I want answers, but if I've waited 2 years I'm sure I can wait some more! We also saw the introduction of the famous Mary Morstan, who I think is an excellent character addition played well by Amanda Abbington (Martin Freeman's real life partner) who enhances the total character chemistry, rather than taking away from it. From Mrs Hudson's heart-warming and scene-stealing scenes, to the very surprising and equally cute cameo from Benedict Cumberbatch's actual parents playing Sherlock Holmes's actual parents, The Empty Hearse was a winner all round. There's so much more I could write, and I feel that I will need to re-watch the episode to actually be able to absorb all the intended information, but then I would be rambling like a Sherlock fangirl even more so than I am now. All I can say is bring on Sunday!

You Might Also Like

0 comments