Happy Valentine's Day / Happy Thursday

Thursday, February 14, 2013

I'm going to throw this out there in the very first line: Valentine's Day is not a day for all us singletons to mope about, recycling tissues and watching re-runs of soppy romcoms whilst listening to Taylor Swift on full blast. Nor should there be dead flowers in your rubbish bin, the petals having been used for "he/she loves me, he/she loves me not" chanting. And the emergency ice cream must not be touched. Asides from the extra  PDA-fest of the streets, it is just another Thursday. Just because you aren't in love, doesn't mean you can't celebrate love.

Just for the record, for all the loved-up couples out there, keep celebrating and I hope you stay together forever and ever and ever. You should not be spending today catching up with Beview; you can do that tomorrow.

I'm using today as an opportunity to ramble on a bit about love. It's not just about romantic stuff though; there has been one - and only one - time where I've been so struck by love that I've been moved to tears on the spot. And I risk sounding like a complete lunatic here, but here goes... It was a man and his dog. A very old man, barely able to walk anywhere other than on the straight line of the path he was on, in a park. The dog, active and eager as ever, knew this and instead of having his owner throw the ball for him (assuming it was a "him") to catch, he would run to the top of the hilly bit by the side of the path and drop the ball. Whilst the ball started rolling, he would run back down and retrieve it, all by himself. Then look up at the man, and do it all over again. As I was walking by, I swear I could just tell that the dog loved the owner, and the owner loved the dog. And that was true love just like that.

I'll confess I don't really know a lot about love, but if there's one thing I aspire to in life, it's someday having what these people have. These people being elderly couples still as in love as when they first met. Of course, I wasn't around when they first met, but I am around now and it is the sweetest, most genuine thing you can ever seen. Take Up, for example. Probably one of the most romantic films in my movie history, and it's an animation. The first ten minutes has me in floods of tears literally every time (get tissues, click if you haven't seen it, then rent the rest of the movie), simply because it is just a simple, classic love story. Friendship, partners, growing old together. Can I get an "awwwwww"? 

Awwwwwwwww.

Yep, forget roses and chocolates, 8 figure salaries and the lot; that video there? That's the dream.

Happy Valentine's Day. I love you all.

Bev x






You Might Also Like

0 comments