Bon Iver - I Can't Make You Love Me

Saturday, December 22, 2012

I don't know if it's because Christmas is a reflective time, or a time to dwell on emotions, but I came across Bon Iver's cover of "I Can't Make You Love Me" this morning. Cue Beview philosophy. It got me thinking two things: 1) Justin Vernon (Bon Iver dude) has a super-impressive falsetto. And 2), you can't please everyone or make them like you. Even if you try really, really hard to. 

Back in the high school days, I had the privilege of accompanying my friend Steph on the piano whilst she sent shivers down every spine with a stunning vocal performance of the said song during a charity concert. The song and it's meaning were beautiful, but it never struck a chord with me until now. So thinking of point 2), I could spend hours thinking of ways to impress someone, or simply spending time with them, but if they don't like you then that's that. It's impossible to make some people like you. Even if you try really, really hard to.

Bev x

You Might Also Like

0 comments