Greek Adventures: Photos from Crete

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Last month, I travelled to the beautiful island of Crete and stayed on the island's second largest town Rethymnon. From swimming in the sea watching the sun set, to the clearest waters I've ever waded through (Balos Lagoon) and the most gorgeous gorge and stunning landscape, it's safe to say it was a holiday to remember. 

Things I learned in Crete:

1. The toilet flushing system is different.
2. Greek food is amazing. I've never really had much more than feta cheese and olives before, and it was eye-opening.
3. Cute cats - everywhere!
4. I do not look like your typical Cretan tourist. "Where are you from?" = most listened to phrase.
5. It. Is. Stunning. 

And since we all travel through life together, I've decided to sit in the British frost and share a few snaps from the land of sun... 


On my first day here, I had the biggest urge to swim in the sea. Sunsets are one of my favourite things in life. Perfect combo.

The small island of Gramvoussa is a popular tourist spot but you have to take a ferry and then another boat. It's totally worth it though, just look at that water! 

The morning after a fantastic wedding (well, only 4 hours after I went home), we went hiking in Samaria Gorge, one of the island's most well known pieces of nature. Photos do not do the scenery justice. 

Ice tea became my favourite drink in Crete! This is the Venetian Fortezza, overlooking Rethymnon.

The Old Town of Rethymnon is so picturesque; this is the old harbour and the view you see on many postcards.

Another snap from the sea side of Balos...

Trekking across these rocks led to the ugliest bloody gash all down my leg the world has ever seen...

We hopped on a bright yellow road train and visited one of the old villages who choose to live a simpler life away from all the 21st century technology. What a peaceful life.

You Might Also Like

0 comments