Beview Playlist: December

Saturday, December 21, 2013


I have a confession to make. I'm quite out of touch with "today's tunes", even if it is a very recent happening. My journeys revolve around trains (so no in-car radio), my going-out-and-dancing-to-the-latest-club-tracks days have decreased with age, and my recent radio listenings have been to old Christmas classics on Magic FM. Who can say no to Magic after a long day at work? Despite all this, I still love new songs when I actually make the effort to not be lazy and search for new tracks be it on Spotify, through word-of-mouth or whatever else. And I'm not the type to keep quiet when I find a song I like. I love music, and love sharing music. So...here are some songs I'd love to share with you.

Starting with...
1) Jamie Lynn Spears - How Could I Want More

Remember the days when JL Spears was a teen idol on Nickelodeon's Zoey 101? Everyone wanted to be friends with the squeaky clean Nick star (at least I did anyway), but when then-16 year old Spears became pregnant, her career went quiet for a bit. But she's back! What's surprising is the type of music she's gone for, mainly because my point of comparison is still the Zoey 101 theme tune. This is a far cry from the auto-tune-ness, and I actually really, really like it. Big thanks to Olivia for Whatsapping me until I gave it a listen, and for Youtube for having a replay button. The song reminds me of Taylor Swift back in the day, simple but sweet, and it is a very-country country song. I looove country music. 


2) Nina Nesbitt - Selfies
I'm a big Nina fan (if you've been with Beview for a while, hopefully you'll remember my gig review of hers a little over a year ago, and she also featured on my Ones To Watch list earlier this year) and this is her latest track from debut album Peroxide. It's a tongue-in-cheek take on the good ol' selfie, and let's face it, 2013 has been the year of the selfie. It is, after all, the word of the year. Apparently. Listen to the track because it's super catchy, but the video is also very apt too (and the lyrics too if you look them up). Selfies are so 2013, but 2014 is Nina Nesbitt's year.

3) Leona Lewis - One More Sleep
Gotta love a Christmas song! I'll admit I wasn't too keen after first hearing it for the first time on the X Factor, but it's one of those songs that grows on you. And it's not often you get new Christmas tunes which aren't covers either. One More Sleep makes me want to have some mulled wine and eat mince pies whilst ringing bells along to the song. It must be catchier than I initially thought, because I catch myself humming along all the time.

4) Christina Perri - Human
Ms Perri's voice could probably give me goosebumps even if she was singing the alphabet. Jar of Hearts and A Thousand Years are - let's face it - brilliant songs, so how does Human compare? It's bloomin' good. It's another slow emotional song, but that's what she does best. The chorus is powerful and I love the chords paired alongside too. 

5) John Mayer - Wildfire
Did I ever mention that I saw John Mayer in concert at Wembley? Oh yeah, I did! He was absolutely breathtaking, sitting happily in my Top 5 gigs of all time and I've been to a fair number of those. Anyway, Wildfire is the song that makes me dream of summer and lounging around on a beach with not a care in the world. "A little bit of summer's what the whole year's all about." Preach it, Mayer. 

6) Ed Sheeran - I See Fire
Did I mention that I saw The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug the other day? *Mental note, I need to review/beview this film* So, the film was brilliant, and when you're on the edge of your seat, Ed Sheeran's haunting voice takes centre stage. Granted it's not a typical Tolkein-esque song like those from the LOTR soundtracks, but give it a few listens and it is a beautiful song growing in chills every listen. It's a classic case of less is more. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments