Album Review: Josh Kumra - Good Things Come To Those Who Don't Wait

Friday, April 26, 2013



I'm truly, genuinely, very excited to review the debut album from Josh Kumra, "Good Things Come To Those Who Don't Wait". For simplicity's sake, I'm going to simplify this to "Good Things...", or "GTCTTWDW"! If you saw the post at the start of the year with my "Ones to Watch" for 2013, you'll remember the name Josh Kumra. He's a reoccuring person on the blog and his is music is exactly my kinda music, so I may be a teeny tiny bit biased. I first heard his music when he supported Nina Nesbitt on tour, and have predicted big things ever since. A few weeks ago, I heard his track "The Answer" for the first time on the radio on Magic FM and was so excited, I stopped driving, pulled over at the side of the road, took a photo of the song on the screen, and tweeted it to him. (He replied!) I then heard it about twice daily (Magic loves Kumra), but that - and him supporting One Republic on their European tour - has been leading nicely to the release of the album. Which I will begin to review right about now.

There's a James Morrison-esque husk of Kumra's voice which has the ability to perfectly form goosebumps up and down your arm. The album, as a whole, is soulful, gentle, relaxing, and beautifully written. I'd previously heard the songs "The Answer", "Waiting For You" and "Don't Go" from his number one collaboration with Wretch 32, so had great expectations based on the fact that I really enjoyed those three. "GTCTTWDW" is great, and then some. Take the haunting vocals of "Brave Face", which strikes a personal cord with me, and the weirdly bouncy backing of "Lost Again" and it's soft "oooohs", and the chart/radio-friendly "By My Light"; there are subtly contrasting new sounds in every offering from the album. One of my favourite tracks has got to be "Where Do We Go From Here"; the lyrics are relatable, and it takes you on a bit of a musical rollercoaster (you'd understand if you gave it a listen). Also, "White and Black" makes you want to sway and bob your head (again, you'd understand if you listened), featuring other up-and-comer Maiday. The male-female harmonies are lovely and I can't really describe the sound with any word other than lovely. It's lovely. 

The deluxe version of the album offers an extra 5 songs which continue the chilled out vibe of the standalone "Good Things...". I really like "Pretend" - lyrically he manages to avoid cliches (he acknowledges this too!) and it has a natural flow of storytelling, with an angelic choir-ish chorus and cool chords. This guy's, like, really good. Ultimately, however, I think the best song is "The Answer". I love love love it; you should know that by now. It's like, really good, y'know?

When I saw Josh Kumra perform live, it was just him and his guitar, in true classic singer-songwriter style. "Good Things" is understandably different in that it is a full production of things; there are layers, funky electrobeats and nod-along-with-the-bass bass. If you ever get the opportunity though, he'd be a class act to see on tour. The album doesn't seem to showcase his incredible guitarring skills enough. 

"Good Things Come To Those Who Don't Wait" is a very good thing. Lyrically and melodically, it's ace and I definitely need to hear more from him in the future. I knew his voice was great even before I pressed play, but the range of tracks create a varied yet distinct sound which puts him in his comfort zone, and dares to stretch it on occasion. Yep, I waited a while for the album to come out, but good things come to those who wait too! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments