Music Review: Little Mix - DNA

Monday, October 01, 2012

Little Mix's latest offering, "DNA", shares it's title with their debut album which is out next month. Playing (and singing along to) their last track "Wings" became somewhat of a guilty pleasure of mine this summer. Although "DNA" hasn't quite got me belting my heart out just yet, it has the makings of a solid pop track, undoubtedly popular for the radio stations and Little Mix fans.

It has a very electric sound and seems very heavily produced. Because of that, the vocals seem a little bit too processed, and we have to remember that these girls are incredible singers without the need for all the music robots and the like. Then again, we also have to remember that even the Katy Perrys and Taylor Swifts and Gagas are going through the exact same thing for every track released. And in the context of today's pop world, it's hardly a surprise anyway. It even works in Little Mix's favour as they're beginning to estabish a signature sound. I saw a random interview where the girls stated they wanted to release a ballad next, miles away from what people would expect from them. I guess the record company (aka Simon) had the final say on this one! But like I said, it's not necessarily a bad thing. If you're looking for a surprise, keep looking. But if you're looking for a catchy pop tune, enjoy.

Again, there is a pretty even showcase of all 4 members and that itself in a girlband is a rarity. The chorus is repetitive and catchy, plus it has a very Katy Perry "ET" feel to it so it doesn't necessarily feel like the fresh, new vibes of "Wings". A scientific theme is also prominent, as probably suggested by the title. Little lines like "I'm the X to his Y" form a very scientific love song. Yet the lyrics aren't exactly rocket science - "that's what makes a man...". 

Add a very random choir-esque section and an intro which makes me feel like I'm still dreaming, and you have something Little Mix can be proud of, and a very strong pop song which I expect will be shooting up the charts. It's not as strong as "Wings", however, and I'm still looking forward to the other "DNA" (the album) where hopefully there will be some more diverse tracks to challenge the pop sound. After all, if anyone can do it, it's the 4 girls who every other girl secretly wants to be. (Not me, though. I'm happy with the singing with my hairbrush for now.)

Bev x

You Might Also Like

0 comments